Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This Social Network

This is the point in the script where things start connecting--perhaps faster than our protagonist can handle. I received a message from someone from my past on a social network today. She had to have done some sleuthing to find me because I'm only listed on that network by my maiden name, and I'm pretty sure she never knew my maiden name. My initial reaction was "I hate the internet." I've got my privacy settings pretty high, yet not so high that those who truly know me can't find me. It's an interesting balance to strike--especially if you have chapters of your past that you'd rather forget.

For those who have read the Charlie chapter of the story of Bridget, you know that there were others privy to our marital woes (or at least to my sinful reaction to the marital woes). You may even remember the pastor whose counsel almost gave me the courage to give in to suicidal impulses... and to be fair I must admit that he also offered me the sage advice that a separation in order for us to work on our individual problems might be beneficial. (In retrospect, I know that would have been preferable to the way we just ran away, and ultimately clung to our old codependent habits.)

Running away is how we handled the situation back then. Our lives were tangled up with complications--work and home and friends and church overlapped* way too much for us to find any place where we could feel safe enough to deal with our problems. Our counselor even advised us to leave, citing that we needed to have a place of our own where we could retreat from work and focus on our relationship. Her advise led to us renting a house for the first time in years--a place that would not be invaded by the demands of employers we were in debt to for the roof over our heads--and leaving a church that had been a source of demands and judgement in disproportionate balance to support. If we had stayed (or if one of us had stayed) separation would have been the only way to survive. [*The overlap served as a sort of a cancellation of each of us as individual entities--the majority of the people in our lives saw us as a single unit . . . and thus, when they were disappointed by Todd, they would express disappointment in me.]

Looking back, I realize that the biggest reason I couldn't handle staying there was because I would need to really stand up for myself and push away from enabling Todd in order to not go crazy. Todd pulled me into his world of delusion more than I ever realized. He reacted to criticism of our employers by demonizing them, and because people are imperfect, I was able to see the flaws in those he was demonizing and it magnified my distrust of them. The church did contribute to the gluing us together with "till death do us part" expectations--approaching me as if Todd and I really were one, even when I had little to no sway over his irresponsible behavior... they should have held him more directly accountable and not always put me in the middle. But I also should have stood up for myself. Todd and I were bound more tightly in our disfunction than I realized. If they had truly worked with us as individuals, things might have worked, but we seemed to be so inextricably "one" in their eyes that there was no other way. So, we left. We didn't move too far--only about 15 miles--but in a metropolitan area, it was enough distance to pretty much avoid seeing all the people from our old life.

I have a phobia of that little suburb 15 miles from my doorstep. There are times that I have to go there, and my hair practically stands on end if I get too close to the place we lived. One time Todd was driving, and he jokingly started to swerve the car as if he was going to pull in the driveway to the old church. My heart nearly stopped and I had nightmares for weeks after that. There were some pretty awful things that went on in that place, and I frequently deal with the fact that I haven't been "reconciled" with those "brothers and sisters" in the Lord by putting them in a different category from the "real" church: It was a cult--a bunch of self-righteous fringe lunatics--looneys who are not to be trusted.

Then, in the midst of my safe oasis of friends on my social network, a message shows up from that pastor's wife. She's hoping that Todd and I will be able to attend the church's anniversary celebration coming up soon. She says that she and her husband think of us often and pray that all is well. My defenses instantly erect about me. Distrust. Sure you wish us well. Sure you want us back there for the anniversary... an anniversary... what a convenient excuse to snoop around in our business for your own amusement. I look at her profile and see pictures from the cruises she's gone on with her husband. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Clergy. They were happy to move into a wealthy area to minister, because the lifestyle fit them so well. It was incidental that they had to live that way to minister to the natives. Suffering for the Lord. Ha! Past hurt excavates the ugly depths of my soul. Envy. Judgment. Demonization. Then I realize something that had evaded me until now. These attitudes toward this couple... are they really my own? Are they perhaps more Todd's narcissistic reaction to people who refused to accept his delusions as true? God! How much of his crap have I incorporated in the way I deal with others over the years?

I'm going to have to pray about this message sitting like a weight in my inbox. Initially, I thought I'd ignore it. Why would I want to open up that can of worms? But even in the amount of time it has taken to write this message, I've begun to wonder if the timing of this might be more than coincidence. Could this perhaps be providential? a gift? a catalyst for my grow-up plan--my attempt to uncover any delusion that is crippling me? An answer to the prayer I've been praying from the Psalms 119:29?


Remove from me the way of lying,
And grant me Your law graciously.

The only reason to answer and reconnect with this couple I've avoided for so many years would be if it could promote honesty and healing. I really don't need any more nice role-playing in my life.


2 comments:

  1. Right now I could really use some prayer and wisdom as to whether I should respond to that invitation, and if so, how. I know I'm not going to the anniversary, but should I answer her message to let her know why? Should I say anything beyond that to initiate understanding and healing? She says they think of us often and pray for us. I wonder if our "case" feels like unfinished business to them.

    I've been picturing the scenario of meeting Mrs. Pastor-Lady for tea or lunch and pouring out some of the thoughts I expressed in this blog (about recent realizations of ways in which I may have unfairly demonized her husband's efforts to help Todd and me... and about how that relates to my current feeling of a need to separate myself from Todd.) She already knows the surface details of that darkest chapter of our struggle, but she has no idea about the depths. In my desperation for support and counseling--in my feeling too weak to walk through this on my own--however, I don't want to unwisely submit to the counsel of someone whom I shouldn't.

    The reason I'm uncertain whether to trust her is the memory of what seemed to be an overly simplistic understanding of the struggles of others, because she had struggled so little herself. Both she and her husband made many naive "suggestions" (which felt more like criticisms) about my parenting and household and time management... things that left me feeling unfairly judged because they were trying to apply the perfection they had achieved in their model family (with one older child) to the chaos they observe in my mob of toddlers (incidentally confined to a much smaller and less functional living space than the spacious and recently renovated home her neat, tidy family of three occupied). It often felt like they were belittling my exhaustion as a sleep-deprived/working/stay-at-home/wannabe-super-mom more than they were actually trying to help. Their solution of "be more like us" wouldn't really work because I didn't want to get rid of 2/3 of my kids, and because I was married to Todd (arguably another kid) not to a Mr. PastorMan clone (and because I didn't have a dishwasher, or in-home laundry, or extra cash for eating out... and the list could go on and on.)

    Anyway, that is my dilemma. She may have changed and grown in understanding in these years since Todd and I ran away... and if not, perhaps my sharing some of those precise thoughts I just expressed with her would actually be beneficial to her future encounters in counseling those who are less perfect than she. No matter what I decide, I know that even the easy route of simply ignoring her invitation would be saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I doubt she or her husband have even prayed one prayer for you...however that is just my snarky negative self talking. I have caught myself saying that many many times,The, "i've been praying for you part", because it seems like the righteous thing to say. I have a friend that says even a "thought" about someone, is a prayer or a curse. Eh!my self righteous jury is still out on that one. So whether she prayed or not, I do believe God did put you in their mind or "on their heart" (if you like Christianese)

    My new mission besides not lying to myself and learning how to "mind my own business", is to "fear not!". I am determined to PUSH into the HARD stuff! We are called to fear nothing. I get off on the heart pounding stuff! like lions dens and burning bushes! So why not have coffee at Starbucks or meet at a park! See if she has a "WORD" from the Lord for you? Maybe she does, maybe not! I would not go to her or the property. If it is from the Lord, she will be willing to come to you. And by the way, she should come humbly to you, if she doesn't confess any weakness or mistake in her own life, then that would be a sign! NO PHARISEES welcome! Hey! I just had a random thought, what if God wants you to minister to her? WHy not? Even though I hate the word "ministry", you have to know that WE as "God followers" should minister to each other. No one is righteous, no not one. We are all stuck down here with the same evil nature. Maybe, just maybe, she needs you! :) Pastor's wives are people too!

    However, no way in hell, would I go be a side show at that circus! ugh! the thought of seeing you all dressed up and being perky with Todd is enough to make me puke!

    ReplyDelete