Monday, May 9, 2011

Is Honesty the Best Policy? Even on a Holiday?

Our anniversary is coming up next week. I've been dreading it. Dishonesty is suffocating, but honesty is difficult to phrase in a way that won't be interpreted as unloving. While dishonesty might appease Todd's fantasy that everything is "okay" for the time being, it will not hold us forever.

How often--when Todd has erupted at the inconvenience of having dependents--has it crossed my mind that the very best anniversary gift I could give him would be a divorce? Then he might at last have a chance to see if he would be satisfied by the type of happiness he seems to think he deserves (all the stuff he wants, when he wants it, without anybody else in the way . . . blocking the screen, or using the last of the milk on their cereal when he needs it for his coffee, or asking him to remember to deposit some of his pay in the household account before the automatic payments cause overdraft charges again . . . )

He blew up on Mother's Day. The kids had done a pretty good job cleaning up the kitchen, but then we had pancakes and Todd decided it was time to get the youngest (we'll call him Matt) to load the dishwasher. I guess Matt didn't hop to it quickly enough, or he asked if he could finish what he was doing first... something didn't fit Todd's template and he started yelling until our son was crying. Then he yelled at him for crying. The altercation broadcast across the entire house. Happy Mother's Day.

"Why are you crying now?" Todd drilled.

"I don't know," Matt answered, sobbing. Matt has a bit of a speech impediment, and as is common, he becomes more difficult to understand when he is emotionally upset. I could understand him fine from the other room, but Todd gets impatient and doesn't really listen to others if the answer isn't what he wants to hear.

"What?" Todd blared.

"I don't know," Matt answered.

Todd mimicked the speech impediment, making our son cry even more.

"I don't know why I cry," Matt answered, getting even worse. "I try not to, but I can't help it."
Matthew was obviously embarrassed by the fact that he couldn't control his crying. I know that feeling. I've been there.

Todd started slamming the dishes around, putting them in the dishwasher himself, and when Matt tried to help, Todd told him to go away. This prompted Matt to cry even more. He has a tender heart, and is my most cheerful helper of all the kids. He wanted to help and now he was not only being mocked, he was also being denied the opportunity to do the right thing. Todd wanted to be sure that he felt badly about himself.

Matt ran out of the kitchen crying so hard he was shaking. I took him in my arms, calmed him and thanked him for being willing to help. I told him not to be ashamed and to walk back in the kitchen and calmly tell his daddy he was sorry for not helping when he was asked, let him know that he was ready to do the dishes and that Mommy wanted him to have a second chance. I thought, if a child came to me and sincerely said that, I would give him another chance, and surely Todd would see treating his son decently as a sort of Mother's Day gift.

Matt put on his brave face and tried, but Todd just yelled at him to go away, saying it was too late. When Matt ran to his room, I marched into the kitchen, determined to call out this ridiculous emotional abuse.

"It's Mother's Day, and I want Matt to have another chance to do the dishes," I said forcefully.


"No. I know what I'm doing," Todd answered. I could tell that he was holding back from fighting with me, I suppose because of the day it was. (Could you say that holidays promote evil because forced goodwill is dishonesty? Maybe that's why I've come to dislike holidays--all holidays--more and more with each passing year.)

"What? Are you trying to make him hate you?" I asked.

He laughed it off, like I was stupid and he was some sort of expert in child rearing, his plan incapable of failing. I tried to reason with him, but he was cocky about it and refused to listen.

Was I so wrong to want peace in the house and an opportunity for my son to learn about mercy? Especially on Mother's Day--the day that was supposed to be for me? (I guess that would have been asking for a show, a lie . . . the very thing that I'm most dreading as our anniversary approaches.)

As that day draws near, I've been asking myself: Is honesty the best policy? I know that enabling bad behavior is not good for any of us, but are there days that we should refrain from calling out the things that are not acceptable? Are there special days and seasons when we should just hold our tongues and put up with the &#@%?

I was talking with a colleague the other day, and finally broke down and told her what was going on with Todd. She was a good listener, but she kept trying to connect Todd's behavior to the fact that he is grieving the loss of his mother. I don't doubt that the grief could exasperate the emotions that already are out of his control so much of the time, but the truth is, I really haven't seen any discernible difference in Todd's behavior since his mother passed away last fall. He's the same old @$$#*?% he was before. This colleague said you have to give a person a full year to "get back to normal" after a loss like that.

"Get back to normal?" I thought. Why would I want him to get back to his normal?

This is his normal. He hasn't changed. I'm the one who has changed; I've just finally gotten to the point that I can't take business as usual any more.

There are truths that need to be spoken, expectations and boundaries that need to be declared out loud . . . before they are allowed to simmer to the boiling point and explode. But things keep coming up--getting in the way of honesty: holidays, illness and death, the demands of work . . . It seems that there is always a reason to put off speaking the hard truth . . . but lying is not loving.

Oh, what a paradox: Could saying "I don't love you" possibly be the most loving thing a person could do? Or is it better to get a sappy generic card with sentiment you don't believe, go out for a dinner you can't afford, fake enjoyment of company you can barely tolerate, and smile a plastic smile to cover up the pain just because it's another one of those holidays . . . another one of those evil holidays?

I've tried to think of a kind, gentle way to say what is on my heart, but everything comes off as sounding potentially bitchy. After all, that's what a woman who is disagreeable is--a bitch, right? A man I'm working on a project with said something about his ex-wife the other day and the word just rolled of his tongue: "She's still a bitch," he said. I haven't known him long, and I've never met his wife, but this man is gruff and domineering and I couldn't help but wonder what he meant by "bitch" -- Perhaps, I thought, he meant that she was just like him, but female. It's still kind of that way in much of our society. We make excuses for him: "He's strong-willed," "more of a leader than a follower," etc. Guys laugh it up. "That's just the way he is. It's funny!" But an assertive woman? Get ready for the personal attack and the label.

What label would you give me if I gave my husband an anniversary card that said something like this:

"I'm tired of trying in vain. I'm tired of being met with mockery or derision every time I try to bare my soul. I'm through. It's our anniversary, but as far as I'm concerned we're not even married any more. We haven't been for some time. We both know that God instituted marriage to be a picture of His love for the church. We know Ephesians 5, but we don't know how to live it. I can't feign respect for you any more than you seem to be able to make sacrifices to show me love. If you want another anniversary, you're going to have to woo me back. I don't trust you enough to try anymore. You're going to have to prove to me that I can trust you. If not, who are we fooling? We might as well end the charade."


The front of the card could show a picture of a tennis ball bouncing in front of a net along with the words, "The ball's in your court now..."

What do you think?

Would it be bitchy to drop the charade less than a year after his mother passed away? Or while his dad's still in the rehabilitation center, waiting to to learn if he'll ever be able to return home again? Would it be bitchy to speak the truth on our anniversary? Maybe I should do it the day before our anniversary so he can save the cost of a dinner we can't afford, but that would still be during the grieving grace period . . .

How many more evil holidays must we endure?


3 comments:

  1. Holidays are a struggle for me too, especially my anniversary. How can I be happy for another year of being married to someone I don't love? I have talked with a friend about my situation, telling the truth behind my decision to marry my husband. She said maybe I should tell him the truth. "How far back should I go?" She didn't know.
    I wanted to break it off with my fiance 3 months before I married. I found a way to get away from him, put distance between us. He decided to go with me. I couldn't bring myself to hurt him at that time.
    Getting to my parents' house things were very stressful. My mom was tired of company. My dad's mom came to visit and snow caused her stay to be prolonged. This made it difficult and stressful for my mom. She was so glad to see her company leave and didn't want any more company. At the time I had no idea how to tell my fiance this because he didn't understand my family dynamics. So the stress my mom felt was shifted to me because she didn't want him there, but she never told him. That wouldn't be proper. Instead I heard it all and was stuck in the middle.
    Add to that how whenever I came home from college I felt like a little child. My dad put his strict rules back on me, treating me like I was in 10th grade. After the freedom of being on my own this was stifling. I wanted out! At that time the only way I saw out was moving my marriage up by 5 months. I never told my parents when we were going to get married until the Monday before the Saturday that we got married. The reason for that was because if they knew they would have talked me out of it and I'd be stuck. So I traded one "stuck" situation for another "stuck" situation.
    So, dear Bridget, if I gave a true anniversary card to my husband it would be very hurtful. It would say:
    "For our anniversary this year I decided to be completely honest with you about my feelings. You see, I've been living a lie for 27 years. When I ran out of money for school and decided to return home, I was happy because I didn't want to be with you anymore or marry you. I just wasn't sure how to break it off. I thought mileage would be the way to do it, but then you said you were going with me. Trying to tell you how my mom didn't want you around didn't change your mind. So I figured that before we got married in September I would be able to break it off with you.
    However, when we got to my parents' house things became unbearable for me. The stress was difficult to deal with. I wanted it to end. My mom didn't want you there and her and my dad didn't like the fact that my money was going towards your living expenses because you didn't have a job or you didn't make as much as me.
    You decided to move out of my parents' house "to make things easier." It may have worked for you, but not for me. My parents' became more disgruntled because I was "paying your way."
    At this point I wanted out any way I could. That way was to talk you into getting married 5 months early.
    Living this lie weighed heavy on me for many years. Things only lightened up for me when I told the truth to some trusted friends about 6 years ago. Yet that lie never completely went away.
    I never truly loved you."
    I know some people would say, "Why didn't you end your marriage if it was a lie and made you so unhappy?"
    Just like you it comes down to that commitment thing and knowing how God hates divorce.
    Why didn't I think about that 27 years ago? Because I never truly understood "until death do us part." Life can be long! Making a lifelong commitment seems straight forward and easy until you actually get yourself in that situation, especially when you're not in love and, at times, are embarrassed by your spouse.
    I do believe there are other people who feel the same way we do about holidays. I know that doesn't correct things, but it does make life a little more bearable knowing you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your final line, Anon, the old saying, "Misery loves company," came to mind.

    There is that part about it being helpful to know that one is not alone... However, I don't wish ours to be such "stuck" company as misery company because just like I don't want to be here, I don't want you to be in pain either.

    If misery causes us to notice each other and realize we are not alone, I hope that misery's job is therein complete.

    It's people who love company, and we are not defined by our emotions or circumstances. May it be the hope and the joy within us that becomes the thing we have most in common. I hope you will continue to chime in. Maybe together we can find our way to the place where "Joy loves company."

    As for the things you would say if you gave your husband a totally honest card, you are right--I think the truth must be buffered if we don't want to be hurtful. I guess it's buffered by love--which is why it's a virtue not simply to speak the truth, but rather to "speak the truth in love." I googled that phrase to see exactly where it came from. Ephesians 4:15. Figures it was Ephesians. I've been spending a lot of time in Ephesians lately. It's not really talking about the truth (as in the truth about what I feel); it's talking about the Truth (as in the gospel). It's a call to spiritual maturity, and the initiation to spiritual maturity is always humility--putting others first. (http://www.raptureready.com/faq/faq262.html)

    It's always easy to give in to the lowest common denominator (just look at my laundry-time war declarations), but that is not maturity, and that will ultimately not bring lasting happiness. Speaking out our feelings can feel very relieving (like popping a zit, it gets the poison out)... but what's really better than spewing bacteria is drinking more water and cleaning up from the inside.

    You and I both know that we are called to love our husbands. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will stay with them. If we truly loved them, we would seek what is best for them... and given our fallen imperfect state as human beings, that could mean leaving them or sending them away so God can deal with them.

    Knowing that we are not alone can help us--especially if we both choose not to dwell in misery. Would you help me by reminding me that my situation is not my identity? I am not miserable. Neither are you. We can be joyful people dealing with difficult situations. We can do this with maturity. We can express our immaturity, and humble ourselves declaring that the story isn't finished yet. Maybe we will be better than miserable company--because what good is that?

    I'll pray for you. Please pray for me. If I challenge you, please know that I am challenging myself in the very same breath--it's not judgment--it's flight practice.

    I'm going to re-read Ephesians again. How cool that the "speak the truth in love" verse is in that very same book I've been studying. Guess I haven't studied it enough yet.

    Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All the days of the afflicted are evil, but he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast." -Proverbs 15:15

    ReplyDelete