Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Moon, the Crazy Moon

I felt that pain in my chest today. Not the kind associated with medical maladies, but rather that deep sobbing that may not even make a sound, but it feels like it's capable of turning you inside-out. Was it something Todd said? you may ask. No. Not at all. Todd has hurt me but he has never moved me to tears like this. This was the rare tug--the pull of true loss. I felt it at my sister's funeral, and I felt it when I was driving home after Charlie and I split up, while his child was still growing inside my womb.

What would bring about such internal contortion? Nothing Todd could say or do. I'm growing immune to his prodding. I think that comment he made a few weeks ago, "I didn't say 'we,'" in reference to moving back to the midwest, coupled with his accusation the following day that I had intentionally fainted at our wedding to get out of saying the vows combined to form the last straw. He can tick me off or annoy me... but really move me? Not so much.

What was it, then? I guess you could call it another silly self-therapy move. I wonder if I could get my own show on the DIY network.

I was reading excerpts from the book, Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man, and I started to feel really paranoid. I ran from room to room, closing the blinds on the windows and making sure the doors were locked, disassembled every smoke detector and heating vent to be sure there weren't any hidden cameras, dissected the phones in search of bugs, and peered into each closet (and the refrigerator) looking for spies. How could Scott Wetzler, Ph. D. know so much about what goes on in our house without the assistance of surveillance technology? What I read planted a tiny suspicion in my head... the thought that the problem between Todd and me is not completely about me being "crazy and impossible to talk to." Maybe I wasn't just imagining the mind game olympics that have been leaving me confused and feeling emotionally spent.

But then I went back to the log-eye thing.

Don't think of yourself more highly than you ought, I told myself. Todd's not the only one who has accused you of being an awful person, Bridget. Maybe it's true.

My mind went back more than a couple decades to that fateful, pivotal day when Doug told me everything that was wrong with me in one sitting. He didn't want to spend time with me anymore. It was over. Every time I walked by his best friend on campus, I'd hear him mutter the words, "hateful" or "Jezebel." Accusations like that don't just spring out of thin air, do they? Way back when this was happening, I confronted Doug's friend, asking him why he called me those things. All I was ever able to get out of him was that I had hurt Doug. When I tried to get him to tell me how, all he would say was, "at least you weren't married."

All of these years, that whole series of events has been confusing to me. I still don't know what happened. I still don't know what I did to hurt Doug. I've suspected that he liked me as more than a friend and he took my lack of response to his hints as a rejection, but I've never confirmed that. As those of you who have been following this blog know, Doug and I have been reconciled for quite a while. We're actually good friends now. But I still never figured out what went wrong way back then. He chalks it up to "we were young... naive... immature..." That's never really been enough clarity for me, but you can only dig so much when the others involved are pouring concrete and constructing buildings on the spot in question. I've let it go, wanting to know more every time one of my kids comes to me seeking advice on similar situations of the heart, but knowing that the only way to find out would be to come right out and ask him... which I still guess I fear might scare him away (I may also be a little afraid of what a blow it would be to my self esteem if I were to find out after all these years that he never did like me as anything more than just a friend, and that I was delusional to think that that was what had hurt him.)

Anyway, I finally did it yesterday. I finally broke down and told him that I really need to know what it was that I did, didn't do, said, or didn't say that caused him such great hurt that he didn't want to be around me anymore back then. What did I think knowing would accomplish after all these years? I may not have really known when I sent the message, but it couldn't be un-sent. As the day went by, I came to realize that it was, at least in part, self-sabotage--fishing for ammunition to use against myself. Perhaps he would raise accusations that would collude with what Todd says about me, confirming that I really am an awful person. You see, on the flip side of wondering how it was that I hurt Doug, part of me has always wondered IF I really hurt him... or if it was really just part of a game. He had spent time with me when he didn't have anyone else to spend time with, and then, when our mutual "friend" who was interested in dating him came into the picture, he tired of me, and the "you hurt me" story was just a convenient way to get rid of me. For all I know, that's just as likely to be true as the he had a crush on me delusion.

He did write back. And what he said didn't bring any more clarity.

"i appreciate the fact that you're trying to work through some really aweful pieces of our mutual past. however, i honestly can't remember any feelings about you that would have caused me to react to you in the way you described.

"here is my conclusion: like many people, i was a very confused and certainly a very insecure person. as we've discussed, i had my own issues with [our mutual friends]. i'm sure this included trying to impress them to the point of trying to make myself look like someone i wasn't--to the extent of acting out the immense insecurity that still haunts me to this day.

"knowing [the guy who called me "hateful"] as i did, he (like me) was often sarcastic and enjoyed the folly of mixed messages. i honestly cannot make any connection between you and the biblical jezebel in my wildest accounts and interpretation of what was going on back then. everything seemed to be about being funny, getting the laughs, and actually feeding each other in ways that were never conducive to real friendship or mutual understanding. the reality is, if we had the tools, we didn't apply them to all relationships to make them what they needed to be. rather, we did what we needed to do to make certain relationships work.

"if you were to see [those old mutual friends] right now, you wouldn't recognize them. they both have grown into truly godly, really terrific people, and the stuff we knew 26-plus years ago is no longer part of who they are. in fact, if we were to broach it, they, too, would likely be embarrassed and even repentent. i suspect that this would be the necessary connector for you: knowing that we all were young and immature, which doesn't necessarily cover over the multitude of sins, but helps to bring understanding for what we may continue to feel.

"here's a start. i'm happy to keep this going in processing through with you."

And I did reply to that message, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of anything that will bring any more clarity at all. It was while I was writing that reply that my chest did the contorting on me--while I was imagining all the horrible truths that could come out if I kept digging.

What will I do if he does at some point reveal to me that my suspicions of our friendship having always been a whole lot more lop-sided than I was willing to admit are true? I suspect it will be more of those deep chest contortions... hurting something awful... but it will be worth it to have the truth, right?


On another note, to celebrate my anniversary (a day late and alone) I watched a movie called Ira and Abby. It's a pretty cynical look at marriage, and therapy . . . How fitting!

Love this exchange:

Abby: Do you have a girlfriend?
Ira: No, I have a fear of perishables.



For some reason, as soon as it finished, I thought of the lines about marriage in Moonstruck:

Ma: Do you love him, Loretta?
Loretta: Ma, I love him awful.
Ma: Oh God, that's too bad.



It's kind of a relief that I don't love Todd awful. It's kind of a comfort to be numbed to that pain in the chest.



4 comments:

  1. Your situation with Doug reminds me of my crush on a "Todd". I realized a month or two after my 30th highschool reunion that a crush is just a one sided love affair. I was in love with Todd. I was in love with Todd before, after and during my marraige to Don. I boldly told Don too! I have kept my vows and DOn had no reason to doubt that I would keep them at my 30th reunion also. When I saw Todd after all these years I was so excited I could hardly speak to him. However, not being the shy kind, I jumped right in and told him how I had been following his career on the internet and flirted a little over cocktails even in front of his wife because I was "safe". In my mind, he was safe because I was true to my vow to Don. It wasn't until the following night when I walked over to him and wanted to show him pictures of my family, that his friend said, "stay away from Todd, stop stalking him!" I was stunned! He may as well have called me Jezabel. It was so far from my reality, I didn't know what to say. Out of self respect I walked away, but even months later, I wondered what happened. Now after getting a little perspective I realize I had created a fantasy relationship with him, that did not exist at all. His reality, barely touched mine! All those late night sleepovers with my girlfriends where I pledged my undieing love for Todd were not reciprocal feelings. Imagine that? I was crushed. Now I have to laugh at myself! Of course he thought I was stalking him, it does look that way from the other point of view. THe crazy thing is that all those years I was thinking about him, he nary gave me a thought. How sad in a way. A lot of misplaced thoughts! umh! could DOug have maybe never even given you much thought? I know with out a doubt that I am not a Jezabel, however, Todds reaction to me did sting. How funny that I created my own pain, all by myself! call it crazy, I don't really care, but you have to admit it would make for a good screen play! Too bad, I only live my own story and don't write them for a living! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jezebel thing always confused me (and from what Doug said, he didn't get where it came from either--if he's telling the truth). I mean, I was practically a nun. When Doug suddenly ditched me, I actually got asked out by a few guys (guys who had thought that Doug and I were dating), but it wasn't like I became a fluzy. I only said "yes" in an attempt to deaden the pain of having lost him.

    One of those guys who asked me out was Doug's best friend's roommate, Brad. With Doug's talk about enjoying mixed signals and everything being about the joke, I'm even wondering if Brad might have been put up to asking me out so they could all mess with me like some experiment. There was really never any evidence that Brad had any true interest in me. It was like one of the weirdest chapters in my life. He'd take me out for a ride in his convertible, but he wouldn't say a word. Then he'd drop me off. I felt like a hood ornament. We never had any real conversation. We never had anything going on physically. At first I was intrigued by the weirdness of this mysterious guy who wouldn't say a word asking me out. It was a puzzle to be solved, but it turned out to be nothing but an empty dead-end maze.

    How strange that decades later I finally put it together that the whole thing might have been a game that they all were in on (Brad, his roommate, AND Doug). There has been no message back from Doug today, but I know he was online because he posted a comment on Mike's wall (I think that's the name I had for Brad's roommate/ Doug's best friend [after ditching me, that is--before that I thought WE were best friends]).

    What a soap opera! It's amazing how all this online networking can bring grown-ups right back into the drama of their youth. I wish I could sell this story. God knows I could use the money. The thing is I don't know if anyone would believe it. I have pieces of it in so many other stories and scripts I've written. And you, Anon (yes I know who this Anon. is)... you are in one of those stories. I predict that there WILL eventually be a screenplay about a couple of quirky old ladies, and although it will seem too outlandish to be true, you and I will know just how much truth needed to be held back in order for it to be believable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. there is more then one anon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there are multiple anons. I do wish there were at least a number to distinguish one from the other... but I do know who anon #1 on this post is. Y'all know you can make up a fake name for yourself if you like. You could even sign your comments "My Name's not Really _____"

    ReplyDelete