Friday, June 22, 2012

Outside of Time



Time holds me hostage 
for what price?
I'd pay, if I just knew.
No note requesting ransom sent,
My days are fading, only spent 
In the embrace of clock arms set 
To run indefinitely,
and never set me free.

How can they hold, yet
never touch?
I cry, but hear no sound.
Time's arms, like bars, my soul encase,
Future indefinite I face.
I long to rest in such a place
Where arms of flesh can hold,
See love that's true unfold.

Vows conspire with time 
to trap me
in airtight cask, I’m drained
‘til left a void, an empty shell,
surrender hope, abide in hell,
pretend that all is good and well
I truly am alone.
This world is not my home.


Outside of time lies
Hope and mercy.
He bids me wait and watch.
Guard my frail heart and body,
Though my flesh is heaving, sobbing,
And my weary head is dropping,
I’ll wait to see His face.
That’s where I’ll find my place.



2 comments:

  1. The idea of being willing to pay the ransom to Time for holding you hostage leaves a vivid impression indeed! Our human inability to pay back and therefore satisfy the monster of injustice (or dare it be justice?) torturing our souls is universally tragic. I, too, long to pay Time off to rid myself of its wounds. But as you concude, outside of Time lie Hope and Mercy. Those elements that supercede Time will stand beyond our temporary trials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the time demands of life often distract me from connecting the dots, this grappling with time is not new to me (for example: http://mynamesnotbridget.blogspot.com/2011/07/spawn-of-satans-first-kiss-part-2.html#comment-form)

      I'm becoming increasingly more convinced that being able to pull yourself outside of time is key to becoming a whole, integrated person. Interestingly enough, our religious institutions often make us greater slaves to time... even when they claim to be spawned by a God who is timeless. ("Don't forget to SCHEDULE your Quiet TIME!" "How much TIME are you spending in the Word and in prayer?" "Forget about quality, this sacrament is summed up in 'til death do us part -- so submit and punch that time clock for Jesus!" "Hurry up and get ready because Jesus is coming soon!")

      A dear friend pointed out to me yesterday how contrary the fear-driven Apocalyptic way of looking at life is to the call of Jesus. Jesus was not rushed. He often bade people to slow down. His emphasis was on BEING ready, not getting ready.

      Delete