Friday, April 22, 2011

Strength from Safety

I've been fluctuating a lot this week. The past has shown me the damage that can be done by impulsive action, so, even though an accusing voice in my head calls me weak for not "doing something," I think where I am right now is searching for clarity. Seeing clearly is essential if I am to make wise decisions, and presently there is too much confusion.

I've been praying for wisdom. While researching a project, I stumbled upon an article on divorce that seemed to verify the sense that I've had of being deserted.


I'll have to look back on the actual vows that Todd and I agreed to (even if I actually didn't say the vows, as Todd alleges, he said them... I think). I wonder if there was any mention of provision in the vows of the church we were married in. However it was worded, I think it's pretty obvious that there has been some vow-breaking in both directions here.

All that said, I don't question my right to divorce. That isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not I should assert that right.

"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."
1 Corinthians 10:23

The world does not revolve around me. There are others to be considered. I don't want to be responsible for causing another to stumble because of my own selfish actions. That's the bigger picture. That doesn't mean I should be a doormat or an enabler... but it does mean that I'd better be good and sure that I have examined my own heart.

I've often said that the world would be a better place if people would put more emphasis on their responsibilities than their rights. I know my rights. What I'm seeking clarity on now is my responsibility. Unlike the impression that I've gotten from Todd, I know that responsibility is not a burden, but rather a wonderful opportunity to fulfill what we are designed to do. Part of the reason Todd has been miserable for so much of his life is because he doesn't embrace the opportunity of responsibility. Living with him, and feeling neglected, I too must admit having fallen into that trap. "Todd's not going to contribute or sacrifice, so why should I?"

After my last blog posting, a dear, true friend admonished me:

I really think that the cat is out of the bag! He has not verbalized the ending to his story until now, cuz he knows that you will not be interested in it. SO he is passively leading you down the road to his ending, with no options. You seem to instinctively know the end he had in mind and in your own denial were stalling and hoping that God would save you or provide a different ending. I think you need to speak your desire out loud! You have to “call it out”! you have to speak the truth in love and tell him NO! his ending would be suicide for you…..your dream, the one you were made for has gotten off track. He is abusing you to live his dream, with no consideration for yours. I predict he will blame you with your own religion. I believe he will brow beat you with the Bible verses. You have to believe that they are lies and manipulations. I think you have been very very patient and actually enabling him all these years. I think in order to be guilt free, you have to start to call this stuff out into the open. You need some Back up plans though. I did have to leave a couple of times, I did not have a full blown plan, but I did have to call it out! I felt I had to give [my husband] a chance to make the right choice. I think you have to tell him flat out, that you are not interested in his ending. I do not think you should be afraid. I also think that you need to get a better understanding on the legal system.... [This] is a no fault state. I think you need to freeze your assets before he bankrupts you and then splits to his dad’s. DON”T LAY DOWN! Or faint!

The thing that stood out to me was the idea of giving Todd a chance to make the right choice. Calling out my desires. Let him know that I'm not interested in the ending he is headed toward. I feel like I've done that, but have I done it specifically enough and clearly enough? It's not even so much an issue of his dreams vs. mine. When I read her words, "He is abusing you to live his dream, with no consideration for yours", I thought that wasn't exactly true. It's more like he's so afraid of pursuing his own dreams that he's settling, and he's pulling me down with him.

He may have a dream of a life of ease back where he grew up, but deep down inside I believe he realizes what a fantasy that is. He knows that moving back home would mean the death of his dreams, too, but he's too afraid to do anything else. Because of this, I wonder if the "calling out" I really need to do is the pointing out of how he is throwing his own dreams away and insisting that I'm not willing to go down that path. It would be unloving for me to let him commit emotional suicide by giving up without a fight.

What if the best way to make him fight for what is important to him is to leave him? That is possible. What's keeping me from doing it?

Well, in the midst of my growing resolve to quit being an enabler and to be more proactive, circumstances have taken another sudden turn. I've heard it said that there are certain stressful circumstances during which you shouldn't make big life-altering decisions (things like hormonal fluctuations of pregnancy or menopause, grieving over a lost loved one, extreme sleep-deprivation, etc.) After the Charlie fiasco, I've tried not to repeat that decision-making faux pas. In fairness, I can't ask Todd to do that either.

A few months ago, Todd lost his mom. No longer having the "other woman" controlling his life has been a change that I can see could be positive in the long run as far as growing up goes. She was an incredible enabler--sending him checks to cover our mortgage and bills more than he ever admitted to me. His dad has helped out, too, but he's not as regular with his support, so we have been struggling more since his mom passed away. That led me to pose the question to a friend: "If it has been Todd's parents, and not Todd, who have been providing for us all these years... when they both pass away will that make me a widow?" Well, just days after asking that, Todd's dad landed in the hospital. Things are pretty chaotic right now, but one thing that is questionable is if his dad will be able to go home alone. He's just about used up his allowed time in the hospital, and will be transferring to a rehabilitation home across the street from the hospital in a few days. It's uncertain if he will ever be able to go home on his own.

I do not want my [alleged child-molester] father-in-law moving in with us, but I also don't want to move out of state to be with him, so I did suggest the idea that if he needs our help, it would be easier for us if he were to relocate than for us to relocate. He's not a very social person and he's out-lived most of the friends he had, so he wouldn't miss nearly as many people as we would if we were forced to move (including our adult and soon-to-be-adult children who certainly would not follow us out of state)... and since he's retired, it wouldn't make sense for us to be the one's moving away from schools and better job opportunities. I wish Todd could spend some time with his father, but we don't have the money for him to fly or drive out there, and we definitely can't afford for him to walk away from the work he has right now (since it's such a rarity). Our son made the comment that it's too bad we don't have more money so Daddy can just go back and stay with Grandpa for a while. He has no idea how much Mommy wishes we could afford that, too. I think him being away for a while right now might be a very good thing. He could see if he is able to find work back there. He could see if going home really would make him happy. And doing so might make the transition easier if we aren't going to make it.

I'm really not afraid of him bankrupting us nearly as much as I'm afraid of being stuck with a man I cannot respect. Last Sunday's sermon text--wouldn't you know it--came from Ephesians 5. If I'm convicted by my inability to respect, shouldn't he also be convicted by his shirking of loving me "as Christ loved the church and laid down his life for her"? The ultimatum, if it comes down to that, is that he has to grow up and take some responsibility. "I don't know what to do," just won't cut it anymore. How do I tell him that he'd better figure it out? And is now the appropriate time?

If it is decided that his dad will not be moving home, we may be faced with the challenge of what to do with his dad's house sooner than I expected. That could be an opportunity for growth. Will he try to hold on to an unneeded house for sentimental reasons while teetering on the edge of loosing our family home? (We've been waiting a long time for him to "leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife"). Will he work with his dad to sort through the years of accumulated stuff and sell the house or rent it out? Or will he insist on moving back there so his dad can stay in the house a little longer, even if it means going alone?

If it does come to some sort of ultimatum, it will either have to be in writing, or with some sort of mediation. I don't feel emotionally safe conversing with Todd about these things. It has never turned out well in the past. Is it a sign of weakness to admit that I don't feel safe?

Not feeling safe... That makes me think of another little (slightly odd) thing that I almost blogged about last week:

There is one television show that I'm addicted to. Fringe. Anyone who follows the show knows that Peter and Olivia have loved each other for some time, but have struggled with connecting largely because of Olivia's fears. In last week's episode, Olivia was in danger because the deceased William Bell (Leonard Nemoy) had taken over her body and what was supposed to be a temporary situation threatened to permanently displace Olivia as her consciousness became "lost." The team was forced to take LSD and go into her mind in search of Olivia (gotta love Sci-Fi!) Anyway, after traveling through an Inception-like world that even included cartoons and zombies, Peter was finally able to find Olivia by figuring out the last place she had ever felt safe. Even though she ultimately had to save herself, the strength to do so came from discovering that safe place within her. When she came to, she was like a new person, free and safe for the first time in years. As I watched the conclusion of that silly little episode, a wave of emotion washed over me, and I thought, Oh how I wish I could find my safe place!

Where it gets interesting is this week, when we were watching the following episode, there was a scene near the beginning in which Olivia wakes up in Peter's arms. She is content and happy like her character has never before been. In that instance, Todd said, "They finally figured it out, didn't they?" I'm sure he would like to awaken in the bliss that Peter did, with a woman who loves and respects him in his arms. If only he could understand that a big reason that isn't happening is that with him, I struggle to find a safe place where I can be truly honest. I am like Olivia, wounded and hiding.

6 comments:

  1. this whole story of a man not having any self esteem reminds me of my brother. He is 60 and not in good health. He is living off his wife who is 61 and a checker at a grocery store and his father who sends him regular "checks in the mail". He recently said he "feels" guilty all the time. Imagine that? His whole life he did a little less then his best. Just enough to get by and now he feels guilty cuz he can't work and his poor wife who has sore legs and feet doesn't feel like chit chatting when she comes home from work. He got a fat check in the mail around the holidays and he bought a used motorhome with half of the check. He convinced himself that he needed it for extra guests that might want to come visit. Oh and ulitmately if they ever needed to rent our their house, they could live in it! OMG! my poor sister in law. I don't think this is what she had in mind. His solutions are always spend money! Never in his mind has he imagined that working, was the answer. Oh and just to make it crystal clear how insane he is....he donates his time to "ministry" because he is so blessed with the "checks in the mail" that he wants to give back. ay yi yi! how warped can you get. His wife is either insane too or a saint....I think the former is closer to the truth. She picked him and she is sticking with him. However, she does not complain to me....she better not. SHe had her chances to speak up....she should have 10 years ago instead of letting him talk her into being a missionary. I think trusting God must be easier and holier than actual work. However, why does he feel guilty then? Because he has no self esteem. Doing your best and working give you self esteem. You give it to your self, imagine that? Self esteem, the gift that keeps on giving long after your usefullness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you afraid of? would he beat you with a stick? or are you afraid you will beat him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon#1 - I was thinking the motorhome sounded like it might come in handy if your sister-in-law ever wanted to BOOT HIM OUT OF THE HOUSE! You are so right about the work/self-esteem connection. I wish Todd could see that I have such great difficulty mustering up respect for him because he has none for himself. He's still waiting for someone to magically spoon-feed him some self-esteem. It's like a total disconnect from reality.

    Anon#2 - It's not so much the physical that I fear as the psychological mind games. It's not sticks and stones (which could break my bones) that frighten me, but rather the words (that are not supposed to hurt). Todd will say that I'm too sensitive... Would he rather that I be insensitive?

    "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can break my heart."

    My heart has done enough breaking. I'm ready to find that emotionally safe place. Whether Todd will be there or not is really up to him. It may sound callous, but I don't really care. If he doesn't want to go there, why would I miss him? Every day that I'm able to go through without his words (excuse-making, blame-shifting, fantasy-world-building...) is a day with less confusion and more joy and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are on the right/write track! :) my teenagers called me a "stoner, a bitch, and a heathen" all in one weekend. Easter no less! The first one was just a low blow by a 20 year old stoner who hasn't worked ever, the second was by my older daughter because I have begun some serious castle boundaries where they are learning the difference between duty and favors. the third was from my oldest who objected to my ditching church attendance on Easter. So first of all, I am not a "stoner" so that name does not affect me. Number two....it is about time I claimed my territory and stopped giving more to my children than they give back, seeing as three of them are 17, 20 and 22. THe third one is thinking that God is somehow blessing our pagan adaptations to the celebration of Spring and Jesus rising from the dead! Last I read in Luke...the followers worshipped God and waited for the Holy Spirit to come. Not sure how Easter Lily's, Colored brochures, spaghetti strap floral dresses and plastic eggs with candy, got in the mix. I seriously wonder, how pleased the Lord must be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love your perspective on Easter, Anon. I've been thinking along the same lines, and I'm really thinking about observing Passover instead next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another thing: I think any woman who is at all assertive is bound to be called a bitch by someone. The only way to avoid it is to be a total doormat. You're right that what people call us shouldn't matter if we know who we are. Some of my grappling, and flip-flopping comes from not really knowing who I am.

    ReplyDelete